MBBS (UNSW,), MRCOG (U K)
Consultant Obstetrician & Gynaecologist
Dr. Tan is an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist with admission rights to Sunway Medical Centre and KPJ Selangor Specialist Hospital, Shah Alam.
His medical degree was obtained from the University of New South Wales (UNSW), Australia in 1985 and he worked as a houseman and medical officer there. He subsequently returned to Malaysia and trained in O&G at Taiping Hospital, General Hospital, Kuala Lumpur and then in England. After passing the postgraduate examinations he was admitted as a Member of the Royal College of Obstetrics & Gynaecology (MRCOG), in 1994.
As a specialist, Dr. Tan has had broad experience in managing problems related to pregnancy as well as those affecting the female reproductive system. He also performs procedures such as Hysteroscopy, Vaginal and Laparoscopic (Key-hole) surgery to treat or investigate a range of gynaecological disorders.
Dr. Tan is a firm believer that good communication is vital to the doctor-patient relationship and strives to involve his patients in any decisions for treatment
The following is a list of services available and problems that he can help manage :
- Cancer screening and Well-women health check eg Pap smear, Abdominal and Vaginal Ultrasound scans, Breast examination, Vaccination against HPV, Blood and Urine tests
- Fibroids, Ovarian Cysts, Painful Periods, Endometriosis, Abnormal Menstrual Bleeding and Prolapsed Uterus
- Gynaecological Infections eg Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID), Vaginal Discharge, Herpes
- Contraceptive (Family Planning) advice and procedures including IUCD, Hormone Implant and Tubal Ligation
- Menopause and associated complications eg Dry vagina, Hot flushes and Osteoporosis testing (to check Bone Mineral Density)
- Infertility – Investigations for Blood Hormone levels, Semen analysis as well as Laparoscopy to check for blocked Fallopian tubes and outpatient treatment with Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI)
- Antenatal Follow-up with Delivery in hospital
- Obstetric Ultrasound with 2D and 3D scans
- Fetal abnormality screening (eg Down syndrome) and Amniocentesis
- Early pregnancy problems – Threatened, Incomplete and Recurrent miscarriage, Ectopic pregnancy (including treatment with Laparoscopic Surgery)
Dr. Tan is married with 3 children and enjoys travelling, visiting museums, watching movies and musical theatre with his family. He reads about current affairs, history, issues of faith and listens to an eclectic mix of music.